Thursday, May 21, 2009

Post-Modernism Eats Itself

According to this article at Techdirt, the copyright holder for the works of Derrida is suing because somebody published a Spanish translation for free.

But wait -- I thought post-modernists like Derrida subscribed to Barthes' theory, set out in "The Death of the Author", that the reader should be considered the author just as much as the writer?

If so, Derrida's estate has no more business claiming royalties for his work than I do, right?

I used to be confident about my interpretation of the text, but now I'm not Saussure.

If you don't get this, don't worry: Dennis Miller will be along in a minute to explain it.

No comments:

A Brief History of Trumpistan

January 21: A coalition of eighteen states led by Texas announce their succession from the United States, forming a new country reviving the...